Monday, November 20, 2006

Matthew 25 times two......

Where to begin......
I have been in the presense of Matthew 25 twice in the last two days. Don't believe in coincidences and feel a little out of sorts about it.
I have waded in the water often with a lot of questions about God's call on my life, i.e. my art and where I fit into the body of Christ.
Here comes Matthew 25 speaking loud and clear about the working out into the world of the things that God has entrusted to us. Am I doing that? Heck, I am not even sure exactly what my "talents" are fully.
I don't feel great today. I might be on the downslope of a mountaintop I was living on over the summer. Maybe I should think on it later. I often lay heavy burdens upon myself when the atmospheres of God's word and my bad feelings collide. These two together are not conducive to breeding faith, yet I know that I know that faith is exactly what He means to grow in me. I can't seem to get there today. I will try again tomorrow. His mercies are new every morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your reference to "the working out into the world of the things that God has entrusted to us" seems to refer to the parable of the talents in verses 14-30. I think most of us spend some time in heavy pondering of that passage. As I look at Matthew 25 again, however, I am struck by the far heavier passage that follows it, verses 31-46, yet in that passage we have no mystery about what God wants us to do. Clearly people have conspicuous needs. Are we noticing them? Are we noticing their needs? Are we doing something to meet those needs? As i ponder those questions, it occurs to me that the "talents" of the parable could be the resources God has given to us for the purpose of sharing with those needy folks in verse 44. Hmm. We may be focusing on our abilities when we should be focusing on others' needs. When we see the people around us and begin to meet their needs, perhaps we will find new ways of using those "talents" which did not occur to us before. Hmm. Food for thought. Thanks for broaching the topic.